Wednesday, September 16, 2009

When A Fish Is Named Salmon

We had a nice, sauteed salmon for dinner again last night, which reminded me of this unpublished entry (written on August 19th) that I intended to post about a month ago:

A few nights ago, I sauteed a nice fish for dinner. It was already filleted - no handsome head or bulging eyes or stiff tail (thank goodness!) on display, hinting at a former glory as a champion swimmer against a blasting current. It was simply a nice cut of fish prepared with a smattering of olive oil (but I don't think it was EVOO - just the regular non-extra virgin olive oil. Sorry, Rachel Ray.) After I dished a delicious-looking piece of it onto my plate, Annie's eyes opened wide as she exclaimed, "It's a dead fish!"

"Yes, it is. It's salmon," I replied. I was about to explain how tasty it was and that it was good brain food, but before I got a chance to, Annie then said, "Oh, that's his name? Salmon?" And before I could think of what to say to that statement, she rather matter-of-factly informed me "You can't pet him," and went back to eating her own meal.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

LOL! Oh thanks for sharing. And I will remind myself NOT to pet my dinner food.