Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Sometimes, it makes me laugh. And sometimes, it makes me cry. Sometimes I even cry because I'm laughing so hard! If I'd known how much fun it was going to be, I would have tried it sooner, yet if I'd known the hardship it entails, I'm pretty sure I would have waited.

I didn't know that something that utterly zaps me of energy could also absolutely replenish me. It fortifies me to know that this is what I still want to be, even though there are days when I just want some time off!

I have surprised myself with tear-drops spilling from my own eyes when I see my precious ones being so brave and keeping their own tears at bay. I'm thankful for the cacophony each day brings: shouts and giggles and stomping and dancing create a symphony that I am trying to appreciate, even when the orchestra sounds out of tune (which is sometimes the conductor's fault, I think!).

I had no idea that sharing a 10-year-old's mirth would be so enjoyable. And I certainly couldn't foresee that I'd be changing a 7-year-old's pull-ups (with no end in sight) and still like that same 7-year-old. I have learned to appreciate from the 7-year-old kisses full of slobber and from the 10-year-old hugs that are forced.

I have learned that I am not heard as well when I yell instead of when I whisper. I swore I wouldn't, but I have caught myself repeating certain phrases, mimicking the voice of one before me.

I am so glad that I can still be comforted by my own. And I am supremely grateful that the recipients of too many failings absolve me of my mistakes. What's more, I think they really want to keep me! I'm so glad I don't have to do it alone. Perhaps most of all, I am sustained by the knowledge that I will always be this. And that makes me very happy.

Because I am a mom.

2 comments:

Miss L said...

Sure love you, Allison. Happy Mother's Day!

Adrienne said...

Go write a book, you perfect mom. No, really. Go do it. Now!