Monday, May 3, 2010

Here's What I learned from Poison Control

Did you know that in the world of poison control, there is no such thing as a child-proof cap? They accept that something - for example, a medicine bottle - can be considered child-resistant, but they laugh at the notion that a child cannot pry open a lid that boasts of the ability to refuse to respond to the manipulations of said child's fingers.

Here's another piece of trivia I gleaned this evening: 2 fluid ounces (which is half of a bottle) of children's ibuprofen does not result in toxicity to a child weighing 60 pounds. However, it may induce a tummy-ache (which a kid who ingests that much might deserve!) and tiredness. The tiredness part - which should lead to a nice, solid night's sleep for a child clutching a pink, tricot-covered, bean-filled heart (aptly named "Bean," because doesn't every kid christen heart-shaped pillows?) is the reward for the mom who has to make the phone call to poison control so that she can learn such trifling tidbits as I've shared with you tonight.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Okay, I know I shouldn't laugh, but I did. And that was after only reading the title. I've made that same call, for the same medicine. It's scary. I'm glad it wasn't more serious for your daughter.

Miss L said...

Here's to hoping you got that rest! And can I just say that I heart Poison Control? I called them when Miss E got caught eating some Desitin paste...and was calmly told that, unlike adults, little children will often STOP eating things that taste yucky, which I guess Desitin does.

Also, can I just say that hope all ends well, so to speak, with that paper clip!!! It's been a crazy start to the week, eh?

Miss L said...

ps. Miss E was about 19 months at the time. Just wanted to clear that up. :)