Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Come on Eileen....It's Your Birthday!

It's my mother's birthday today. I think of her whenever I hear this song, so I decided is would be a fitting tribute for an amazing woman
  • who was born during a bombing raid in WWII London sailed a ship to Canada when she was 21 (and during this voyage, she and her best friend had to take over some housekeeping duties due to a virulent bout of seasickness that struck much of the crew!)
  • dated a man she thought had a horse, but it turned out to be his car (what's a young Brit to think when she hears other girls chatting about Stan and his mustang?) - and married him anyway, despite (or was it because of?) his farming, not, cowboy, stock
  • is a true citizen of the world, having been recognized as a passport holding denizen of three countries
  • has worked in industries spreading from Texas oil to the middle of the block, at the sign of the clock and all parts in between
  • who, most of all, is just who she is. And I'm pretty happy about that.
I love ya, mom! Happy Birthday!

No comments: