Friday, October 10, 2008

Detention....Again!

Yes, friends, Annie had detention again. *Sigh* This time it was the real stay-after-school-for-30-minutes-cry-for-mom-and-think-about-why-you're-here-in-the-vice-principal's-office-detention.

(This isn't Annie's drawing and no, she didn't hit anyone on the head with a fridge, but that may be because she's only 5. *chuckle - chuckle*)
I went to pick her up after her sentence was filled, and did those red-rimmed eyes light up! But see, that was the whole point. Her team (and yes, they are a team: kindergarten teacher, aide, special ed. teacher, and vice-principal) and I decided it was time to do something a bit more drastic - and after-school detention for punching her aide (among other infractions) seemed to fit the crime. Annie is my little shadow, so to be separated from me any longer than she has to is worse than water-boarding her, I think. Hopefully, the threat of detention, in the future, will cause her to think twice about her actions. (Okay - this is Annie we're talking about - the sweetest little munchkin with a mere smidgen of self-control and a temper to match.)

Anyway, when I went to pick Annie up, she showed me some pictures she drew (with assistance) depicting her poor behaviour and on the other side of the sheet (with aid, again) how she can make better decisions. And then she got to hang her picture in the vice-principal's office. And here's the great thing: Annie, my girly-girl (dresses, bows, pink, her sparkly tinkerbell make-up, bling, dolls...), has the dubious honor of being the first little girl to hang a picture drawn under duress on those hallowed walls. I tell you, sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

No comments: