Sunday, October 12, 2008

Melting Frost

I have a wonderful cousin who exemplifies grace, faith, and complete humility. Within these last several years, the image in my mind of a gangly, red-headed kid has been replaced by the reflection of a woman of incredible strength and courage. You see, this cousin has been watching her husband of 13 years battle Leukemia. Ups and downs, whether on a smooth track or an old rickety rail, all come to end. Even when you're not ready for the ride to stop.

How do you watch your best friend, the person you have chosen to spend every single day with, the one with whom you laugh and cry, the father of your beautiful children, your sweetheart, fight each day a battle that he's no longer winning? I guess the real question is, how do you do this without losing hope in everything around you? My cousin knows.

Tonight I read her latest post on this difficult journey of hers and it again hit me how great my cousin is and I am so proud of her!

"With Thanksgiving being upon us, I have been reflecting a lot lately on the things I am thankful for. My list could go on and on, but I would like to share 10 things with you.

1. My knowledge of God's plan of happiness and that families are eternal.
2. My husband and his unconquerable spirit.
3. My three amazing and spunky kids.
4. My parents' help and example.
5. Cam's family and their selfless service to us.
6. My health.
7. The amazing community in which I live, including so many people who love and care for us.
8. Our CML friends world wide.
9. My close personal friends who I lean on often for support.
10. The beautiful surroundings that I am so fortunate to see each day as I look out my window.

These are just a few of the things I have been pondering lately. No matter how cold the winter of our lives becomes, I am learning that thinking of our many blessings melts much of the frost. I hope you take some time this weekend to think of the good things in your life and see God's hand in them."

In particular, this thought deeply touched me: "No matter how cold the winter of our lives becomes, I am learning that thinking of our many blessings melts much of the frost."

It's Canadian Thanksgiving tomorrow, and in honor of my heritage, I just want to express how thankful I am for a skinny little girl with a smattering of freckles who grew up to be one of the most valorous women I know. Thanks Cor, for you.

No comments: