Friday, March 27, 2009

Another year, Another IEP

Springtime, for us, means more than just baby lambs and chicks bumbling along, brave crocuses daring the harsh dip of the thermometer to temper their cheer, and leaf tiny buds promising shade from the hot summer sun to come. Springtime means we once again get to meet with Annie's team (teachers, therapists, school officials, etc.) to evaluate the past year and plan for a successful 12 months to come. It's the annual IEP* meeting. Now that Annie is nearing the end of her kindergarten year, we have had 4 annual IEP meetings - yes, 4. That's how long my six-and-half-year old has been in the public school system: 3 years of preschool and now kindergarten.

This is not a post about IEPs, really. Nor is it my intention to go into detail about our meeting. Actually, I just wanted to say that we really had a good meeting this past Tuesday. IEPs are occasionally entered into with trepidation (referring to Ryan and me - I can't speak for Annie's team, but I suspect there may be similar emotions); sometimes feelings are hurt, spines are brindled, miscommunication can occur. Six or seven adults speaking on behalf of one kid can lead to some interesting outcomes, but I think we all left Tuesday evening feeling pretty good about our plan for this next year.

When Ryan and I received our invitation into the world of special needs (when Annie was 11 days old and we learned that she has 9p-minus) we had no idea what we were in for. It's been a learning process each and every step of our adventure. And not just for us - for everyone who works with Annie. We all pick things up along the way. We all drop things along the way, too. (That's just life, isn't it?) I look at my little girl and I can see many obstacles ahead of her, but if I turn around, I also see many hurdles she's knocked down. And credit for what she's overcome has to be shared with everyone who's on this ride with her - so I guess I just started this post today with the intention of saying "Thanks" to everyone who has held Annie's hand along the way - or even just reached out to her. I'll say it again. Thanks!

*Individualized Education Plan

1 comment:

Ryan said...

But you, Allison, deserve a thank you most of all. I love you girls.