Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rules We Live By

There are irrefutable rules governing the universe. We all know that the law of gravity means we can toss a ball as high as possible, but it will always fall back down to the earth. Two hydrogen particles atoms combined with one oxygen particle will always form water. We observe the rising of sun every morning and its setting every night, unfailing because of the constant rotation of the earth on its axis.

Some truths you may not know include these:
  1. Emi will never be a morning person.
  2. Annie, yo-yoing between silence and fits of giggles while behind closed doors, guarantees the existence of a mess.
  3. Add one little black dog named Cocoa to no. 2 (above) and absolute chaos ensues.
It's important for me to remember that there are some basic laws I cannot change. I must not forget these omnipresent truths, so that I will simply not open the pantry door when I think Annie might be in there (based on the evidence of peals of laughter alternating with pregnant quietus.) This way, the harmony of the universe might endure, and even coincide with my placidity, because if I just resist the impulse to twist the doorknob and let that door remain snug in its frame, I won't find globs of crunchy peanut butter pasted to the door - and matted in Cocoa's fur! At least for a few minutes longer, ubiquitous concordance will reign.

No comments: