Monday, November 15, 2010

It Really Isn't So Bad, After All...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know I'm supposed to post three things that I'm thankful for each day. And I know it's been a week or so since my one entry. So, hmmm....maybe one thing I'm really thankful for is:
  1. Knowing that sometimes, even if something isn't done the way it's expected, it doesn't have to mean its value is diminished. Sometimes, just doing what you can, even if it isn't what you initially intended, is enough. Now, on to number two. 
  2.  I'm really thankful for Emi's sense of humor. Or maybe what I mean is that I'm thankful that she gets my sense of humor (or it could simply be that I'm thankful she plays along with me, so I think she thinks I'm funny!). I love it that we can share a look and know that we're both trying not to laugh out loud. It's nice to share laughter with your kids. 
  3. Lastly, I've been reminded that as  hard as it can be having a kid who struggles with disabilities (and hence, a family who also struggles occasionally), we're incredibly blessed with the things Annie can do, with amazingly supportive family and friends who cheer us on and cheer us up, we have access to very talented doctors and dedicated teachers and therapists, and perhaps, most of all, that our religious faith comforts us with the belief that we have a loving heavenly Father who is intimately aware of us and won't ignore us, that we can all get through this - and all the heartache felt and tears shed will always be more than compensated innumerable blessings and with love and smiles and laughter. I say this because today at Children's Mercy Hospital (as with every time I'm there), I saw all around me familiar faces: adults who looked anxious or scared, some disappointed or angry, others sad and overwhelmed and yet other expressions filled with hope and strength and courage.I also saw brave children hooked to IVs, some with balding heads, others sitting in wheelchairs or using using walkers. I saw children who looked well-cared for, and children who weren't. I saw twisted limbs and obvious facial deformities. I heard young voices express clearly articulated words, and I heard kids communicating with grunts, others slack-jawed and drooling.I could be any one of those parents, and Annie could be any one of those kids. But we're not. 

1 comment:

marisajbaines said...

Hey, allison! I think those are all wonderful things to be grateful for...hmmm maybe i should do this attitude of gratitude challenge... i enjoyed reading your three things!