Tuesday, August 19, 2008

An Auspicious Beginning?


Last Friday (August 15th) was the girls' first day of school. How did it go? Well, take a look at the picture I took before school. Emi seems perky enough, but Annie is much more interested in blowing up the whoopie-cushion.

Fast-forward to about 8 1/2 hours later. Third-grader Emi stepped off the bus. Her steps dragged as she sighed aloud. "How was school?" I chirped? Emi just shrugged. "Well, was it fun?" Another shrug. "Was it just terrible?" She shrugged again. "It just started too soon, didn't it," I soothed. Finally, I got an almost imperceptible nod in response. This from the kid who started playing school with her dolls and stuffed animals almost as soon as she got home.

I decided to ask Annie how her day was. She told me, "I was on orange." I was thinking, What? On the first day? (For those of you who don't know, the kids behaviour is assessed by a colour system. Green is good. Yellow is okay. Orange is not-so-good. The next two colours, which might be red and blue, mean bad-news and the teacher hoping your parents believe in spanking, respectively. And teachers also usually mark the students' hands with a smiley face, or a sad face, or a rather blank face, sometimes indicating the kind of day that was had.) So back to Annie's orange day. 'Why were you on orange? What did you do?" I asked. She responded matter-of-factly, "I didn't make good decisions and I couldn't keep my hands to myself." Okay. Sounds like an orange day to me.

No comments: