Sunday, July 20, 2008

Annie's Tragedy

Okay, I know I shouldn't get hysterical over my child's tears (in the sense that I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying) but today, I just couldn't help myself!

Earlier this afternoon, Annie started badgering me about finding her "polar bear." I had no idea what toy she could be referring to, but she insisted she knew what room it was in. It turned out to be in the laundry room, where I hide (not so well, apparently) toys that will be leaving our house. "Polar Bear," it turns out, is this ugly, cheaply-made, stained, stuffed bear that came to us in that lovely condition (which is why it went straight to the contraband pile). Anyway, I (grudgingly) let Annie play with this bear and of course, she immediately treated it like it was the most precious thing (alive or otherwise).

Shortly thereafter, it was time for our family scripture reading. Now, we have a rule that we actually do enforce: no toys in the living room while we are reading scriptures. Toys can be placed in the hall outside the room, but they have to be out. (I am talking a distance of maybe 10 feet here.) As I am sure you can imagine, this rule didn't go over so well today, not after Annie was reunited (and it feels so good...reunited and it's…oh, sorry - got side-tracked) with her beloved Polar Bear. "But he'll be reverent! Seriously! I promise he won't talk!" Annie insisted. Let me tell you, there was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. And time out in Annie's room. This, of course, is not the funny part.

Finally Annie decided she would be able to part with her beloved bear for the 20 minutes we actually spent reading together. She held her bear close to her heart and slowly placed her bear down in the hall. She situated Polar Bear so he ("he" wears a frilly blue floral cap and his outfit is trimmed with lace) would be facing us. Annie's tear-stained, swollen eyes gazed beseechingly at us, silently pleading to let Polar Bear read with us. Grim-faced, Ryan and I held our ground. We would not be deterred in our quest to wrench these soul mates apart. So Annie stooped down and sobbed to her toy, "I will see you soon, Polar Bear." Then her shoulders quavered and her voice broke as she cried out, "I love you, Polar bear!"

I think it was a good 5 minutes before she was able to glance at Polar Bear (that whole 10 feet away, mind you) without trembling with sadness and eyes welling up. And a good 5 minutes before I could look at Annie without succumbing to another fit of silent laughter!

No comments: