Monday, November 23, 2009

Another Sixer...

You know, I actually thought about my three things yesterday, and several times I nearly sat down at the computer and shared them with you. But obviously, I didn't. At least I am not scrambling for 6 items I am grateful for today. Wait. Did that come out right? I may have made it appear that I am desperately trying to come up with three things to express thanks for each day, as if doing so is a grievance. Well, honestly, sometimes I do have to rack my brain. Which has made me realize something, and it is the first item I am going to list:
  1. I am thankful for the Attitude of Gratitude Challenge, because it makes me think. And appreciate. Even - or maybe especially - on those days when it really is pretentious to put on that attitude of gratitude and wear it proudly. Plus also (I am channeling a bit of Junie B. Jones here) I need the reminder that it's okay to be specifically thankful for the trivial and seemingly inconsequential things in my life. True gratitude does not have to be expressly reserved for the earth-shaking, life-changing, I-can't-believe-how-blessed-I-am bestowals. Between you and me? The truth is that in my life, most "big" blessings parade around disguised as things of little consequence, and too often, I brush them aside, failing to see beyond the surface. It's up to me to acknowledge the infinite goodness and wisdom of my Heavenly Father, who showers me with blessings large and small. Blessings are blessings, whether I recognize them or not.
  2. I am thankful for Junie B. Jones, or maybe it's Barbara Park I am thankful for. At any rate, within the past four or five years, hours of enjoyment have been centered around this wily kid. I think Ryan and I have enjoyed reading them aloud as much as Emi has enjoyed first listening to us read from this entertaining series, and then reading them herself. And Annie has had fun with these books,too, even though Annie's idea of being read to is sitting for no more than five minutes and flipping the pages in no particular order (forward, forward, backwards, forward, backwards, etc.), and forcibly shutting the book when she's had enough. Reading by herself means to look a a couple of pages, maybe scribble on them with whatever writing implement is close at hand, then try to rip pages from the spine. (Consequently, we don't read with Annie nearly as much as we do with Emi.)
  3. I am thankful for yesterday's church meetings. In our church, members of the congregation are given assignments at various times. These assignments include speaking on a given topic to the whole congregation, or teaching a class that is based on age. (Everyone 18 and up qualifies as the same age, in case you're wondering.) So sometimes, talks or lessons may be delivered by members who have captivating skills of oration. Other times, speakers or teachers may have a much less dynamic delivery style. But the thing is, it's not about who is at the pulpit, or how a speech or lesson is delivered that makes it powerful to me. It's what the message is and how I receive it. Sometimes, the instruction that is shared in a way that would certainly be criticized by professional presenters is the most powerful. Yesterday, I heard what I needed to hear, the way I needed to hear it. I'm glad I was listening.
  4. I am thankful for the great group of women I work with as the secretary in the Young Women's program at church.
  5. Laughter, plain and simple, is something I am very thankful for.
  6. I am thankful for Spot Shot.

No comments: