Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Evanescence

I just can't seem to get my posts up on the day they are supposed to be proudly displayed for all to read! It's just after nine on Tuesday morning and I am thinking about six things I am thankful for (three for yesterday, three for today.) It should be easy such an easy task, don't you think? Honestly, countless trivial things that bring me happiness flitter in my head. But some are so inconsequential, I hesitate to list them, because it might seem as if I am trite or *gasp* trying to be glib. But if something brings a smile to my lips or happiness to my heart, I shouldn't be afraid to express my contentment. So here I go. I am thankful for:
  1. Stores that carry Ghiradelli chocolate (60% cocoa content or higher) for my baking (and snacking) pleasure. Nestle and Hershey may have a stronger hold on the grocery market, but not on my taste buds!
  2. Cake flour. Until I used it the first time, I didn't realize the difference cake flour makes in baked goods. You want your dessert to have a velvety, melt-in-your-mouth texture? Use cake flour.
  3. Goodnites (disposable training pants). Because not every child is potty trained by the time she weighs 48 pounds. And most disposable training pants don't fit kids past 40 or so pounds. But you know what? If the trade-off means having a child whose development falls in the realm of "normal" (which means having that lacking piece of that troublesome 9th chromosome in place) and missing out on all the richness that a disabled child brings, I'll keep my Annie and happily continue buying all the pull-ups she needs.
  4. My library card. All the brainwashing that is directed at children, about books opening new worlds, etc., is still firmly affecting this girl!
  5. Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens... Um, I actually mean warm woollen sweaters. I haven't wrapped myself in a wool sweater yet this fall, but they are nicely folded in my drawer and, I like to think, eagerly waiting to be pulled out and put to good use.
  6. The chance I get to read aloud with Emi most evenings. I say with and not to, because it's more than just reading. As much as I feel rushed to complete the bedtime routine so the light can be flipped off and I can have a few minutes for myself to unwind from whatever it is I do all day, I really enjoy sitting on Emi's bed with her and listening to her chat about her about her daydreams, about her frustrations, about friends and school and home. I know that one day, all too soon, she's going to tell me she doesn't need me to read with her, that she'll just get herself to bed. Tomorrow, I'll miss the time I'm in such a hurry to get through today. I need to remember that.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I really enjoy reading these posts.

Adrienne said...

LOVE them all! How happy are all of us choco-snobs that there is GOOD chocolate to be bought at Wally world these days?!