Sunday, November 29, 2009

If I listen Carefully, Maybe I can Hear

I've been attending a Family History Sunday School class at church for the past several weeks.You want to know the reason I decided to take that class? I felt obligated. In our church, there is a lot of emphasis on genealogy. I've never even filled in a four-generation pedigree chart, so I figured I'd better learn how, or at least feign interest.

Over the years, I've observed family and friends climbing into family trees and pouring over hard-to-read records, sending letters to that far-away great-aunt who just may remember the name of a cousin's wife's grandfather's first wife and slamming books closed in the face of a seemingly impenetrable dead end. I've also witnessed eyes light up when an old death certificate appears out of nowhere, seen lips curve up as old letters revealing a complete courtship resulting in marriage are read, listened to laughter as "remember whens?" are exchanged, and felt the joy and thanks when a previously unknown family member or the missing link in an extended family line is discovered.

I thought adopting genealogy as a hobby was limited to the silver-haired set. And I assumed that those dedicated souls who were compelled to spend hours searching through old papers, traipsing through antiquated cemeteries and peering at microfische only pursued and rejoiced only in their own family lines.

My view is changing. Genealogy is not the prerogative of the the human subset aged 60 and older, and it's not limited to me finding people with my own last name. It's about more than simply tracing lines from Sarah to William and figuring out how Ellen fits in and how many children John had between his three wives. It's about family. Not just mine, either. It's about your family, too. It's about grabbing branches near and far and eagerly plucking whatever fruits are offered. Even though I can't say I've been bitten by the bug, I'm no longer pretending to be interested genealogy. If the bug does bite me, I don't plan on applying a healing salve in the hope that the bump will disappear.
  1. I am thankful for my beliefs about the importance of family, which include the knowledge that family relationships don't end when death separates us from those we love. We believe that Heavenly Father's intention is for us (everyone - not just members of the LDS church) to literally be a family forever. As I sit here typing, my girls are bickering and driving me up the wall. I'm sure my blood pressure is rising and I can't wait until their bedtime. Even so, the comforting promise of an eternal family makes me happy!
  2. I am thankful for the Family History class I've been going to and that it has piqued in me an enthusiasm about genealogy.
  3. I am thankful that I have an opportunity to learn about - and perhaps even get to know - people in my family who have lived before me. If listen carefully, maybe I can even hear them whisper secrets that will help me find them.

No comments: