Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Familiar Facebook

Facebook. You all know what I'm talking about, right? A social networking site that unites thousands - wait! - make that millions of internet users across cyberspace. A lot of people really dive into websites like this - in fact, I suspect some use such vehicles to replace other forms of communication, i.e. face-to-face contact, telephone calls, written letters, even e-mail! (If you aren't familiar with Facebook or MySpace, take a moment to learn about them.)

Well, here's why I like Facebook: Sometimes, amidst the daily pleasures of being an honored and cherished wife, a loved and respected mother, a fun playmate, a trustworthy friend, an obedient daughter, a prepared nursery leader, a dependable volunteer, etc., I forget that I used to be someone else. A carefree teenager. A mostly-serious college student. A person who decided that sharing some happiness with a culture light-years away from her own was a good idea. And that someone, my friends, is a very important part of who I am today. And I miss that girl. In fact, I've questioned at times if I'd be able to find her again. I admit it: sometimes I find myself wondering if I ever really drew breath more than 10-15 years ago, and re-connecting with friends - people who do remember the girl I occasionally miss - on Facebook has reassured me that that girl - me - did exist!

You see, that girl that most of those people remember is an integral part of the person (dare I say woman?) I have become. The silly blonde who rode with her girlfriends to Bear Lake and back in the front seat of an '72 Cadillac convertible is me. The gauche young teenager, so awkward in her attempts at flirtation with the nice boy (I won't say which one of my "friends" he is) in her freshman class, the young woman who struggled so and loved so deeply the people of a far-away land, they are all parts of an evolving whole that makes up me.

And there is a thrill when the message is sent that says XXX would like to be your friend. It means someone remembers me. And the memory must be somewhat fond if they actually want to be my friend. Sometimes, it's scary hitting the friend request button - what if they can't even put a face to my name? Or worse - what if they can and decline my request for contact? (The interesting thing is, I have actually accidentally requested contact with a couple of people I barely knew - people I at most only exchanged salutations with - and they accepted me!)

I am still a work in production. I like to think that if I unfortunately fell out of your life right now, and 20 years down the road saw your name on Facebook, you would affirm my request to be friends. Because you are a part of me today that, with me of yesterday, will become me tomorrow.

1 comment:

Miss L said...

Allison, you are a heck of a writer! I love this post--it really resonated with me. And I just have to say, on Google Reader, in the title space, it reads:
(title unknown)

I thought that was pretty appropriate for this post. Excellent job. :) (and I'll be happy to accept you as a "friend" on facebook anytime) I