Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Ai-Ai-Ai!!!

I can't believe how much we put into the health care system. Literally. I am talking about cold, hard cash. Or plastic, actually. Every year, when we are determining out how much to put into our pre-tax flexible spending account (FSA), I figure out how many doctor's visits we'll probably make, how many prescriptions we'll have filled, try to estimate dental and eye care costs, pull a number out of the air that might equal what we'll spend on personal health care sundries, and then add about another 10 percent to the total. And we spend more than that guesstimate before the fiscal year comes to a close.

Don't misinterpret me: what I am saying here is that I love having an FSA. I shudder at what we spend annually. I double-shudder at the thought of forking out that money after taxes! And here's a great irony: despite chronic medical conditions, I think we are a basically healthy bunch!

Can you tell I've just gone to a doctor's office for the 4th time in the past three weeks? No, nothing's wrong - at least no more or no less than usual! I've just been ferrying my kids between various health practioners' places of business. Oh, and I've made a couple of stops at the pharmacy. And you know, I'm glad I am able to do this, because I love my family and and keeping the US health care system afloat is one way I can show Ryan and my girls that I will do whatever I can for them. Today:
  1. I'm thankful for my health, as well of the health of each member of my family
  2. I am also thankful for the multitude of actions that we can take to measurably improve our constitutions. (Does anyone sense some New Year's resolutions coming?)
  3. Of no less importance, I am thankful for our IRS-approved Flexible Spending Account!

No comments: