Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here it is. Turkey Day. After our insides are stuffed, dishes and tables linens washed and leftovers put away, is the Christmas Season officially heralded in? Do we call tonight Black Friday Eve? Does it seem like today is one more holiday to rush through as we count down to Christmas? I'll admit that I have been guilty of observing Thanksgiving with no more diligence than President's day or Columbus Day. But I think this year is different. I've made myself (due to the Thanksgiving challenge) acknowledge the countless blessings that enrich my life.

You know, everyday, I really have to think about what three things I am going to list. Today is no exception. But it's not because I can't think of anything. Rather, it's because I'm sifting among precious treasures. Some of my richest blessings I can reach out and touch. Others, I can barely describe with words. Giving thanks. A whole day to commemorate what is bestowed upon us.
  1. First on my list today is today. I am ever so thankful for this day. It means we have a past. it means we have a future. And in the present, we get to celebrate!
  2. I'm thankful for those who will be surrounding the table today. And I'm thankful for those who I wish could fill vacant chairs.
  3. I'm filled with gratefulness for the fact that my only contribution to today's festivities are a maple-walnut pie and a plate of sugar cookies!

No comments: