Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I Like Cars

My gratitude theme today is based on one of the greatest inventions ever - the automobile. Cars are wonderful. They can be saucy (think: little Audi TT), sexy (picture any Jag), classy (which is, naturally, epitomized by a Rolls or a Bentley), amazingly fast (are you seeing Lamborghinis and Bugattis racing around your head?), iconic (Ford Mustang, Aston-Mini) and so-on and so-on.

I like cars. My fondness for these marvels of speed and comfort has been with me since childhood. I admit I am not nearly as on top of my game as I used to be when it comes to evaluating these amazing engineering feats that grace our roads, but my appreciation for Henry Ford (not that I am enamored of those particular good ol' American cars, but he did make a deep mark on the industry), Ettore Bugatti, Wilbur Gunn, Assar Gabrielsson, Gustaf Larsson and others of that ilk will not waver. That said, today my three items I am thankful for are:
  1. Automobile magazine. Hey, a girl can dream, can't she? You know, I used to (and still do, to be honest) harbor a hope of becoming Jean Jennings. Just imagine how great it would be drive a fantastic variety of incredible cars and then write about them! *Sigh* (Start reading the magazine if you wonder what I am talking about.)
  2. My car. It's boxy, but safe!
  3. The fact that Ryan is really good with cars - he's can tinker with, diagnose problems and fix them. Good thing, since his car is 20 years old! And his project car is 20 years older than that!!

3 comments:

Michael B. said...

I like cars too... I am particularly fond of my daily driver, which unfortunately is also my project car, and is also 30 years old. Even though it is old and slow I so love driving it. 1979 Mercedes 300D

Miss L said...

Or, like they say in that movie, "Crazy People," "They're boxy, but they're good."

Here's to cars! :)

Allison said...

I was trying to think of the line from that movie!