Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mirror, Mirror?

You know how kids mimic so many things grown-ups say? (And sometimes when they repeat what we've said, we don't feel so grown up....) Anyway, when I listen to my girls play, it's interesting to hear how they repeat things I say. Sometimes the context is different than mine. Other times, it's right on. I feel like I'm catching a glimpse of myself, at least of how they see me. Sometimes it's flattering. Sometimes, not.

It tickles me that when I hear Emi's Barbies being disciplined, there's an obvious (usually) undercurrent of love. She faithfully rotates her stuffed animals, so that they can all spend time with her (in the car, on her bed, sitting at the table....) And every time Annie says good-bye to our neighbor, a 10-year-old boy who walks home from the bus stop with the girls, she calls, "Bye Christian. I love you!" And she means it.

  1. I can't believe how blessed I am and I am incredibly grateful to have kids who show so much love. So freely.
  2. I am thankful that I know love is given freely and I'm glad I also know it's worth the hard work it sometimes requires to deepen and strengthen that love.
  3. I am so thankful my family loves me. Freely.

No comments: