Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's Twighlight Time....

No, I didn't drop out of the Thanksgiving challenge with only two days left. I just went computer free yesterday. Occasionally, I do that. However, yesterday I did miss a couple of emails, wondered what the weather forecast was (I check weather.com a lot.), was curious about what msnbc.com had up, and had to fight off a few urges to press the power button so I could play a few rounds of sudoku.

Anyway, what this means is that today, I get to list 6 things I'm thankful for. I feel like I'm leaving my last words, or some tome I hope to be remembered by. But I don't feel especially prosaic today, so you get a simple smattering of what makes me thankful. I am thankful:

  1. For good friends with whom I can appreciate the campiness of Twilight. Yes, it was incredibly sappy, some weird directing, not the best hair and make-up, a rather forced intensity on the part of the cast, I thought, but I enjoyed it because my friends totally understood what I meant when I said, "That was an interesting interpretation of the book." And with these same friends I will thoroughly enjoy installments 2, 3 and 4.
  2. That I have friends who want to include me in fun activities. You never outgrow the desire for play dates, I think.
  3. For yummy Green & Blacks dark chocolate.
  4. That this morning, I got to see one of my favourite scenes from White Christmas - the one where Danny Kaye and Vera Ellen demonstrate that....the best things happen while you're dancing....
  5. That this morning, I got to sit by my friend, Lisa, in Sacrament meeting. The reason why this is significant is because of what it represents: friendships aren't based on how many minutes or hours are spent on the phone with each other, or cards and gifts exchanged at holidays, or how many times you go out to lunch together. Friendship is when you can sit by someone you haven't spoken with in months (because your paths just haven't crossed) and be as free and easy as if you just saw each other the Tuesday before. It doesn't matter that you really hardly ever see each other. You know this person would share more than a bench with you if asked, and do so happily. That's friendship.
  6. For December, for the excitement and hope it brings to young and old alike.

No comments: