Thursday, November 13, 2008

Etymology - for Emi and Other Brilliant Minds

I love words. English words. Japanese words. Chinese words. Throw in a little Spanish, French and German. And Sanskrit too - not that I know any Sanskrit. Latin, Greek and Hebrew have rich histories too. Words are fun.

I used to write down every new word I heard, but rarely do anymore. Either I'm not around smart people as much (seems like this change in association occurred about the time I transferred from KU to BYU) or the OCD meds are working. I learn towards the former.

But, I was reading in Romans tonight when I found the word 'impute' - one of those words I always got from context but couldn't have used correctly until now. Why do I get it now you may ask? Because I thought about it and came up with a few words with similar sounds:

Impute
Compute
Reputation
Putative

Then, I looked them all up. What did I find? They all share the Latin root putare, meaning to 'consider', 'think' or 'prune'. The pruning connotation puts an interesting angle on what it means think.

And I think that is fascinating and Emi probably will too.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hey, what my brilliant mind?